Java is a programming language and a platform developed by James Gosling and his team in 1991. Java is a high level, robust, secured and object oriented programming language. Java is also a platform because any hardware or software environment is which a program runs, is known as platform, and Java has its own runtime environment know as JRE and API, so it is also called a platform.
The team which develop the Java is known as Green Team. It was initiated a revolutionary task to develop a language for digital devices such as televisions, set-top boxes, VCR, CD, mobile devices etc.
Java allows to play online games, chatting, e-business solutions etc.
Some Historical Points regarding Java:-
1. James Gosling, Mike Sheridan and Patrick Naughton start the Java Language project in June 1991 in Sun Microsystems.
2. This engineers team is called Green Team.
3. Firstly it was called “Greentalk” by James Gosling and extension for its file was “.gt”.
4. But after some time it was called Oak (Oak is a symbol of strength and chosen as a national tree of many countries like U.S.A., Germany, France etc).
5. In 1995 Oak was renamed as Java because Oak was already a trademark by Oak Technologies.
6. Java JDK 1.0 released in January 23, 1996.
7. Java is a name not an acronym. Java is an island of Indonesia where first coffee was produced known as java coffee. (Symbol of Java language is also a coffee cup).
8. Java is developed by James Gosling and his team at Sun Microsystems and released in 1995. But in January 27, 2010 Oracle Corporation was completed acquisition of Sun Microsystems.
Version of Java:-
JDK Alpha and Beta in 1995
JDK 1.0 in 23rd Jan, 1996
JDK 1.1 in 19th Feb, 1997
J2SE 1.2 in 8th Dec, 1998
JESE 1.3 in 8th May, 2000
JESE 1.4 in 6th Feb, 2002
JESE 5.0 in 30th Sep, 2004
Java SE 6 in 11th Dec, 2006
Java SE 7 in 28th July, 2011
Java SE 8 in 18th March, 2014
Features of Java:-